Friday 13 July 2012

Mamma Mia! That's my idea of a cooking show, Benny, Bjorn, Agnetha and Anni-Frid.




Picture credit: agnethannifrid.blogspot.co.uk


Gimme, gimme, gimme a plan after midnight


"That's an hour and a half of my life I can't get back," I said, under my breath, after watching Mamma Mia.

I didn't like it.  I watched the DVD faithfully a year or so ago - whenever it was - after we given it as a Christmas present.  My comments were not well recieved by the females we discussed it with later. It was made very clear to me that I was a typical bloke, an all round idiot, with no taste or idea what a good film is.

Harsh, I thought at the time, particularly as all the men I spoke to agreed with me wholeheartedly, except they seemed to avoid the backlash. Clearly, Mr Scapegoat again. Can't argue though, that it was the highest grossing film in the UK in 2008.

I've seen the signs before obviously: this male, female thing, Venus and Mars, the canyon that is the difference between the sexes, etc etc.

I mention all this because I'm a home-alone tonight; my wife is out overnight at an Abba tribute show, which in the case of her group, happens to be a hen night.  I'm assured the combination of hens and Abbas makes this just about a damn near perfect combo.  There's a small fleet of cars going with watches syncronised for 4.30pm. There'll be a last-minute search under the bed/back of the wardrobe for feather boas, urgent shopping for plastic glasses and cursing because they didn't put the Cava in the fridge for long enough. And the fact that they only seem to have a measly one case of fizz.  Per car.

"We're having a three course meal first," she said.  Which I thought sounded a bit odd.  That's a long time taken up and a fair quantity of meat and three veg to digest if the required dancing is to take place. 

"DANCING QUEEEEEN, FEEL THE YEAAAH OF THE TANGERINE, OH YEAHHHH!"

I can see it now. Quiet, restrained, it won't be.

I daren't over-quote the lyrics by the way.  I bet there's packs of Swedish lawyers poised to deal with wanton copyright malarkey.

Chicken Tikka, la, la, la, laaaa.


Chicken Tikka, Chiquitita

So I did a bit of Google action to see what is normally consumed at such events.  There was either no food or the ever-present 'finger buffet'.  Greasy chicken legs flopping onto posh frocked laps wouldn't be a preferred option either, I suspect. Lilac feathers accidently dipped into mayonnaise might not be a good look  by the time they're redecorated the favourite top only bought last week from Next.

So I asked my Facebook, PChef chums for thoughts and theories.  I tried to expand the notion and suggest what food you might serve at an Abba cooking show party.  There were the Swedish suggestions of Dime Bars and meatballs.  I like meatballs.  I cooked some for tea last night, but I prefer tomato sauce and not the fruit jam thing as per Ikea. Wierd.  Then there was smorgasbord, which after all is just a posher finger buffet isn't it? I like a few roll mop herrings myself, but there's a time and a place. Then came the suggestions that made me smile.  Chicken Tikka (as in 'Chiquitita' - heard that before but it still made me snort a bit) Doughing Me, Doughing You (for the bread rolls) and Voulez Vonts (vol au vent, obviously).  There were several that suggested an Abba cooking show home party was a real go-er.

I think we're getting somewhere.

Cava, vodka.  Bound to be messy.


The response to my request was - I think - entirely female at time of writing. It's odd how Abba connects in such a way with female audiences.  They've sold over 370 million records and still sell millions every year even though they haven't collectively produced new music since 1982. Each member has continued to work with each other or individually since that time although, unusually, Abba never did officially spilt: they just stopped recording and touring.  I very much doubt that the instigators, Benny and Bjorn realised the impact they would have when the started their musical careers aged 18 in the Hep Cats and The Hootenanny Singers, respectively.

Roll mops.  Swedish enough for you?
However, this is where I may differ from a significant number of the males species.  I like Abba songs.  There.  I've said it now, no going back. They produced some technically fantastic pop songs.  Much has been written about the extraordinary vocal range of the girls in particular which drifts across octaves alarmingly and which makes it very difficult for tribute bands to accurately reproduce the true sound. Sorry, but I like it.

I have been to an Abba tribute show in the grounds of Lincoln Castle one summer and it was great.  People brought picnics and sang rather a lot.  That I can do but I wonder how many blokes will be at this hotel tonight as packs of over 30s women wade through the Cava starters and move onto the main course of Vodka and coke? Messy. Advice:  When you hear gimme, gimme, gimme a man after midnight, check the Exits.

Thankfully I'll be at home.  Chicken Tikka sounds like a good plan, with a few herrings perhaps? Maybe I'll rethink that. I certainly wouldn't fancy doing an Abba cooking show though. No way.

At least now I can watch my DVD of National Lampoon's Animal House without my wife saying," Well that's an hour and a half of my life I can't get back."

Venus and Mars. Ahh , haaaa!

  •  Remember, I'm always interested in any comments and feel free to repost on facebook or twitter, and please join the page - it's on the right side of this page. If you do repost, please drop me a line at mikegetscooking@gmail.com.  It would be great to hear from you. - Mike.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the Mamma Mia movie Mike - dire - but like you I enjoy their music and we had a terrific Abba tribute act play for our Pampered Chef 70s inspired Directors' evening a few years ago at National Conference. As that dearly lamented other great broadcaster Alan Partridge used to say Knowing me Knowing you they'll be around a long time after we've gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the movie but I did see a French & Saunders spoof version which was very funny!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on mikegetscooking.