Thursday 29 March 2012

A new zest for life from a lemon


I find it very hard. No... I used to find it hard to get excited about a zester.

There are significantly more interesting things to do in life than take the outer skin off citrus fruit. A romantic meal near the Eiffel Tower, taking part in rodeo in the mid-West, bungee jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge would all fall in the category of interesting for some people.

And yet my pulse did, I have to say, peak slightly just the other day when I used the Pampered Chef multi plane zester for the first time.  Not enough happening to fill my sad existance?  Well, you see, I have long bemoaned the inadequte behaviour of the box grater in this area of kitchen workload.

You grate a lemon - sorry, zest - on the finest setting of a box grater and the grater keeps most of the zest selfishly for itself.  It clings onto its prize even through the dishwasher, setting what remains into a shell around the now filled and raised metal gratey bits.

So imagine my surprise, and the surprise of a recent cooking show guest, when the lemon graciously offered its zest to the Pampered Chef zester.  And the zester repaid by simply handing over a surprisingly large amount of much appreciated fragrant mini shavings.

 "Ohh, look at all that", said the guest.

I know. I know. It makes you skip ever so slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on mikegetscooking.