Friday 31 August 2012

You did what? Put mashed potato - in cakes?



'For mash get - cakes and tarts and stuff...'


Is it just me or is instant mash suddenly cool again?  Or at least OK?

I vividly remember eating it as a kid.  My mum was a keen advocate of new-fad labour-saving cunning-plans culinary-wise. We had both the instant mash dust and the granulated versions.  Facinating to watch the dust transform into a potato tribute act.  And with a blob of butter added as it gathered pace it was perfectly fine to eat, I seem to recall.  Not sure if I'd say the same now because I haven't eaten it for years.

Look, I've got a craving now.  It's always the same.  When I write about stuff like this, I want a slab/portion/slice/blob of right now.

Vesta instant meals: 'exotic chinese curry in minutes'. Fab. I'll have you know it was the height of sophistication. Seriously. This was in the days when a glass of fresh orange was a starter on a restaurant menu, when Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins where banging on about Cinzano on TV ads and the lady still loved Milk Tray. Convenience foods were sexy and this was long before the fleet of takeaways we have now down our high streets.

Why chop onions and carrots when you could boil a kettle and watch the veg reappear before your very eyes? Something in the back of my mind is telling me that the noodles in a Vesta Chow Mein had to be fried to crisp up?  Apparently, you can still get the meals. Anyway...I digress.

Angel Delight.  I could murder a bowl of that now, washed down with a lime pop from the Soda Stream.  Now look what you've made me do.  I'll be wanting a Babycham next. Or a Dubonnet. (Too young..?  Ok.  It was a sweet wine-based thing, ridiculously popular in the 60s and 70s among the smart set; bitter because it had a good dose of quinine in it.  It was first sold in 1846 and the story goes the French Foreign Legion were encouraged to give it a good swallow because of the quinine and its protective qualities against malaria)

Instant mash 

 

I was watching the Food Network the other day, which I do when no-one else is around because they're fed up with me watching all the food tele shows. Some bloke in the States was making restaurant quantities of a meatloaf, burger kind of concoction - I wasn't paying much attention.  But I did when I heard him say 'instant potato' which he chucked into the vast metal bowl as a binding agent.

I have a feeling there will be several people now shouting, 'yeah...and...?'  but it honestly hadn't occurred to me.  Breadcrumbs, yes, egg, yes.  But not instant spuds.  Maybe because instant potato - in fact instant food in general - has such a poor reputation in some quarters of my generation.

Gluten-free lemon drizzle cake
Gluten free lemon drizzle - with spuds.
But it is two thirds starch by dry weight, it would thicken and grab hold of what's around it so it does sort of make sense, I suppose.

Slice of gluten free lemon and potato cake? 

 

I think I'm suddenly aware of potatoes taking on a more unusual role because my wife cooked a lemon drizzle cake this week, made with potato. Carrot cake, we're used to.  I quite like it.  But potato?
You see, my brother and sister in law paid a visit and she has to steer well away from gluten.  Basically, 250g of cold mash takes the place of the flour and do you know what?  You'd never know. It was fantastic. I had more than one slice which is the norm.  We've never had to search for this kind of thing because this is a recent diagnosis  and again, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't all really obvious to those who have battled through lists of ingredients before.  It must be exhausting to keep needing to check and check again.  The rest of us have no idea how lucky we are.

Instant mash in a Pampered Chef style

 

Deluxe min muffin pan
Now this is coincidence, honestly, but I picked up an old copy of the Pampered Chef recipe book, Season's Best, and there, on page 8, a recipe for potato bites.  Instant mash mixed with cheese butter and egg becomes a golden brown case in the deluxe mini muffin pan as would pastry.  I've never tried that and now I want to.  Whether that's the power of TV, recipe books, a yearning for nostalgia or just my curiosity taking over, I don't know. There is a continued recipe for the case filling but really, I guess that could be just about anything you fancy, chopped up small enough.  



I suppose the yearning to go shopping will take over now.  I'll probably have to wear dark glasses if I pick up some instant mash until I've come to terms with my silly behaviour, I don't want the neighbours waving net curtains, but I also want to see if there's any Fray Bentos pies handy.  Or Angel Delight. Gravy Browning. Bottle of  Emva Cream or Stones Ginger Wine..

I could certainly do something to a Pop Tart right now. And no I don't mean Cheryl Cole, I meant one of those things you put in a toaster, thank you. Really. Pffft.

----------------

By the way...please feel free to comment, in fact I'd like it if you did, about the bloggy stuff in general or this bit, whatever takes your fancy.  I'd quite like to know where I am with your train of thought and if you've got suggetions. then get it off your chest. Your ideas are just as valid as mine. And why not join the page on the right hand side. That would be nice and appreciated at this end.  But if you'd prefer to keep it quiet then contact me at mikegetscooking@gmail.com, also that mikegetscooking thing on facebook and twitter.  You have a nice day now.

 

2 comments:

  1. I was never allowed instant mash when I was little, but I loved the adverts!

    "For Mash, get Smash"... I actually sang that out loud when I wrote it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep Lizi... 'For Mash get....' you can't NOT sing it out loud! hhaha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on mikegetscooking.