Monday 26 March 2012

Eating at home on the menu

Poster by Susan Kline

We're eating out less than we used to.

I think most of us have gathered that, but it's always interesting to see it in print. I've just been doing some basic search engine work and it shows the number of times we eat out is continuing to slide, particularly among the 25-35 year olds.

And there's a sizable chunk that have 'traded out' or simply removed themselves from the market. In simple terms, they don't eat out anymore. *

The cost of taking a family out to eat can be significant as I'm sure we all know too well. We used to eat out every Christmas Eve at the same hotel restaurant. Not anymore. They recorated, revamped with trendy new furniture and put vegetables into small pots on my plate instead of directly on my plate.   I seem to remember a 'reduction' or a 'jus' apppeared when it was gravy before. The menu got all Sunday supplement and priced itself accordingly.

Unfortunately a new chair wasn't enough to justify the eye-watering bill.  We eat at home now because I like my chairs and it costs significantly less.

Stating the obvious perhaps, but one of the reasons why Pampered Chef has such a growing following? If I'm cooking at home more often I want kit that isn't going to fall apart at the first outing: a non stick pan that is non stick for longer than a month.

Don't get me wrong, we do still eat out and did so only a few days ago. It's enjoyable and sociable. But perhaps more of us are discovering how sociable sharing a meal - a proper home cooked meal - can be too. A trick from the past that's still a good trick today.

* (According to latest figures by independent foodservice research agency NPD Group)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on mikegetscooking.