Sunday 8 July 2012

Curry please, make sure it's slim line.

 





This is a tricky one and I'm not sure what I think.  This is what set me off...

'You've used the wrong milk again...how many more times.  It's not my milk!'

My wife is now giving me that look that suggests I will pay a heavy price for this latest lapse in concentration at a time and date to suit her. If you lived in my house, you'd hear that quite a bit.  Sometimes I forget, sometimes - I have to admit - I can't be faffed with swapping endless different sorts of milk about.


I was making two mugs of hot chocolate and 'accidently' used semi skimmed milk in both, instead of one with skimmed milk.  Skimmed is the fluid of choice for my wife. I should make the effort particularly as I am getting seriously fed up with others foisting their food and drink notions on me.

We both used to drink full fat.  I can't remember when we shifted sideways, likewise I can't remember when we both dropped sugar.  To go off track slightly, I used to work for a major organisation that sent a 'nurse' around occasionally for workplace healthcare. Now a colleague of mine, true to his agricultural roots, ate vast quantities of fatty bits washed down with Jersey milk.  I haven't seen Jersey milk for years; not sure if you can still buy it.  It's so fatty it almost stands up by itself.

Anyway, the nurse did all the relevant checks during one of her workplace visits and the test results seemed to suggest my colleague had been dead for several years, it's just that no-one had bothered to tell him. He was off the scale; such was the effect of the milk and all round meaty consumption.  Except of course he was very much alive, in pretty sound health generally and was a little surprised to find out he was dead.

Suffice to say, he didn't change his diet, and is still on his toes.


Fish and chips anyone?
Now, I do try to watch what I consume.  I'm not a great fast-food fan, except fish and chips.  The whole burger thing leaves me apathetic. I do need to lose weight though, but that's more to do with not getting off my backside enough.  I don't drink much alcohol really and I don't smoke: never have done, never tried it in fact, so I've no idea what that's like.  It's my choice.  I like choice.  I choose to like choice.

So I'm starting to get just a tad frustrated by the increasing levels of 'skinny' and 'lite' in the choice put before me. No, not just before me, almost thrust upon me. Before we go further, when did skinny become a gastronomic option? I can't remember.  Skinny. Odd.  If I called someone skinny they'd probably be less than pleased.  Slim, yes, not skinny.  And yet if I want a coffee that isn't skinny I'm looked upon like a social misfit.  Yes I know I'm getting paranoid and a bit silly, but I almost feel like I need to apologise in advance when I place an order.
"Can I have the chicken please...and I'd like the skin left on"
"Left on..?
"And a coffee.."
" Skinny..?"
"Just semi-skimmed, please..."
"So...you'd like skin, but not skinny?"
And off she goes to tell her workmates to treat the bloke on table seven with extreme caution as he's clearly unstable.

It's a tricky one.  We should eat responsibly.  We eat too much fat.  I eat too much fat.  I know I do.  I like cake and chocolate and biscuits.  I like to be able to choose a fatty or a non fatty version: example, I prefer low-fat yoghurt.  I like the choice, I just don't like the feeling that I'm wrong to like a battered sausage once every six months.  But maybe I should?  Maybe I'm the one that's wrong. Maybe choice should not be a choice after all.  Food education is a serious matter not to be trivialised as so many people gain dangerous weight levels.  What we do that will make a major impact, I have no idea. I'm not sure guilt is a great option though as it prompts me to eat another biscuit to take the guilty feelings away.  I do think we haven't seriously tackled the issues of high fat foods sold cheaply or marketing to children.  It all feels a bit token.


Fried?..not fried?
I saw this recipe on the facebook thingy for 'lite' fried chicken.  (I can't tell you how much I loathe the non-word 'lite'...anyway.)  The reason why the 'lite' fried chicken was 'lite' was because it wasn't fried.  So what exactly is the point of calling the damn thing fried?  It was oven baked.  But because we all secretly like fatty fried chicken, we have to call a non-fried chicken fried so we can say we haven't actually eaten fried, fried chicken.   If I want oven baked chicken, let me choose that or let me choose a fried version:  why call something what it isn't? We can't seem to make our minds up with messages mixed all over.

I was in a well-known national pub chain pub last night for a meal after a very long day left me too tired to cook.  Browsing through the range of menus before me I glanced at the drinks and saw - skinny singles.  What?  Example: Vodka and a low carb Monster.  I think after grazing through steak, chips, a fried egg and onion rings, a low carb Monster isn't really going to scratch the surface. However, at least I have the option, and we would criticise them if they didn't make an effort.

This reminds me: a while back we went for an Indian meal in a restaurant after which my wife asked for a gin and tonic, but make sure it's a slim line.  That's after a months supply of curry calories in one sitting. I did raise the issue but...

I suppose there are two main threads to all this. Firstly, I am a grown up, I am incredibly fortunate to live in a country at a time in history when I can choose what I want to eat within reason, so please let me choose.  And please continue giving me that sensible option. Just don't make me feel guilty, it will backfire.  And why do we now pretend to eat what we are not eating? I don't understand and I'm not sure the pretend part is helping with food education.  There is a third thread which is about what manufacturers put in our food to make it low or non fat and yet taste 'fatty' and 'creamy'.  But that's for another day.

Guess what I had to eat today?  A chicken dinner and chocolate fudge cake to follow.  Oh dear. I'll be eating deep fried Mars Bars next and that'll really give me something to feel guilty about.

I'm going to quite open here; I'm not sure what I really think or perhaps more accurately, should think. Maybe we are all so disconnected from food and its production that we need protecting from ourselves. Skinny or not so skinny.  That is the question.

  • If you have any thoughts and theories, please feel free to comment. And repost on facebook and twitter as you so please. You can contact me on mikegetscooking on facebook or at mikegetscooking@gmail.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on mikegetscooking.